[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 3, Issue 519

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Aug 30 13:20:43 PDT 2010

Unirac requires an expansion joint every 45 feet. You leave 1/2 inch
between rails ends and use a splice bar (not a splice plate). Just use
two screws on ONE side of the splice bar. Don't put a module over the
splice. Don't forget about rail grounding across the splice.

Anyway, if it is an expansion/contraction issue and you don't have an
expansion plate, you might look at how tight your feet are bolted to the
rail. A loose one might be slipping. However, I can't imagine it would
expand/contract enough to make a noticeable and sustained noise that the
customer would complain about. I'm guessing it's something else. I doubt
it's the solar. Keep us up to date!

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar