[RE-wrenches] Power Loss from Dust on PV Modules

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 11:59:30 PDT 2010

Wrenches,

A recent news story about "Self-cleaning technology from Mars can keep
terrestrial solar panels dust free" at
http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/08/Self-cleaning-technology-from-Mars-can-keep-terrestrial-solar-panels-dust-free/
said "A dust layer of one-seventh of an ounce per square yard decreases
solar power conversion by 40 percent," Mazumder explains. "In Arizona, dust
is deposited each month at about 4 times that amount. Deposition rates are
even higher in the Middle East, Australia, and India."

I have measured up to 15% power from a few months Los Angeles summer time
dust and dirt and much higher loss at a very dirty location in Long Beach. I
dry wipe small arrays clean and water hose (no wiping) up to 10 kW
residential arrays. Is anyone experiencing 40% power loss from dust? How are
you removing dust and dirt?

Thank you for your feedback.

Joel Davidson