[RE-wrenches] Fw: Preventing Worker Deaths in the Solar Energy Industry

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 10:57:53 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: face (CDPH-OHB)
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:36 AM
Subject: Preventing Worker Deaths in the Solar Energy Industry

California FACE Program Investigates the Deaths of

Three Solar Installers

The California Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) program has recently investigated the deaths of three solar installers.  Two of the completed reports are now available online:

·        Electrical worker dies when he falls through a skylight while installing solar panels on the roof of a warehouse (09CA003, PDF)

·        Solar installer dies when he falls 35 feet from a scaffold after being electrocuted (08CA006, PDF)

The California FACE program published several fact sheets (available in both English and Spanish) based on these fatality investigations.  Fact sheets are written for workers, and can easily be incorporated into trainings and posted at the worksite:

·        Deadly Skylights! Solar Energy and Warehouse Workers Killed! (English PDF)  |  Spanish

·        Solar Energy Technician Electrocuted! (English PDF)  |  Spanish

·        Solar Panels: Lift Them Safely! (PDF)

We invite you to explore additional materials on our Web site:  www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohb-face and e-mail face at cdph.ca.gov for more information about this program funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

If you would like to receive e-mail notification of future California FACE work-related fatality investigation reports (including the third solar investigation), or would like to provide feedback to our program by evaluating any of our materials, please complete this short form:  http://fs6.formsite.com/BuildSafe/face/ .

A complete archive of CA/FACE publications can be viewed at:

·        http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohb-face/Pages/Publications.aspx (English) or

·        http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohb-face/Pages/SpanishPubs.aspx (Spanish).

Sincerely,

Robert Harrison, MD, MPH                             Laura Styles, MPH

Principal Investigator                                         Project Coordinator