[RE-wrenches] Mixing miss matched modules

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Wed Jul 14 15:34:31 PDT 2010

Hey all,

I have an off grid client that we are moving the existing
sway-backed fixed mount PV array to a new location (the sun
gets blocked Nov, Dec And Jan after 1:30PM; the ex-husbands
bright idea).

We will be  mounting the existing [12] MSX66 PV on a Wattsun
tracker at [2] strings 6 modules @ 126VOC. I still have room
for [2] 230watt PV modules that could be mounted in the
middle in portrait. There is room on the MX60 charge
controller for the additional wattage.  This wattage total
would meet her energy analysis currently.

Obviously the additional [2] 230 watt PV modules in series
will be at a different voltage, IV curve, & overall
characteristic from the  [12] MSX 66 modules [2 strings of 6
in series.]

The client is not thrilled about having to run an additional
wire feed [150'] and have an additional and separate charge
controller for the additional 460 watts and 24 DC - 19 amps
x 1.56 = 30 amps.

I told her that it would affect the whole output and that
she might only get 325watts to maybe an additional 400 watt
if she was lucky and it might be worse than the 325watts.

I am open to any experiences or points to make to help
change the course of this not good idea & experiment that
you might like to share to help me change her mind from "can
we try it to, OK let's not do it", without the usual "trust
me I am a wrench and this is a bad idea, and I know best."
Even if I do....

Thanks,  Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"