[RE-wrenches] Interstate UL-16 HC problem

bob reellison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 03:52:37 PDT 2010

I have 2 systems that I am trying to correct that another local dealer has
installed.

This one is 2 strings of (8) UL-16 HC Interstate Batteries, 16 batteries
total.

We cannot get the batteries to charge over 1.225 despite discharging them
and generator charging them till everything shut down.

This is a 48 volt system with a Magnum 4448 inverter.

He also has (6) 175 watt Solar World panels on a manual tracker. (spends all
day tracking the sun) He is adding 2 more this summer. The controller is an
MX-60.

I have moved the Magnums settings to 1600 AH battery bank size to allow for
the inverter to have a longer absorb time to help it finish charging and get
to a full battery.

It's not working; we have 1 cell at 1.240 and the rest at 1.225.

These have not been cycled hard if at all, I am going to suggest that he
cycle them several more times to see if anything improves after that

The other system has the same problem with a different inverter! So it's not
inverter related, but I am at a loss.

I have not used Interstates before and want to stay away from them in the
future.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob Ellison