[RE-wrenches] PV driven air compressor

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Tue May 25 20:30:43 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I have a project to provide PV power for a small diaphragm air pump (1/8
hp, 12 or 24 vDC, 6.2 or 3.5 running amps, 90 watts).  As it turns out,
pricing from my distributor is cheaper for 180-200 watt modules than for
anything smaller.  I don't spec PV driven pumps except for SHW, so I'm
just checking for any reason to not use the larger modules.  The pump is
being used to aerate a pond, so no problem with excess pumping.  I will
most likely use a linear current booster to improve output, but mostly to
limit voltage.  Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096