[RE-wrenches] [Fwd: Re: DC wire sizing]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Sat Apr 3 13:57:59 PDT 2010

Forwarding a message from Robin Gudgel...

Robin Gudgel wrote:
> The CBI QY series of DC breakers have an arc shoot that is required to
> quench a DC arc. This breaker would work just fine as an AC breaker although
> is not marked as such. I am not sure if the AC breakers (QL, QZ and QZD
> series) have the arc shoot. I was told years ago by CBI that the AC and DC
> breakers are built the same, but I had never broke one open to see if the
> arc shoot is present on AC breakers until today. The AC breakers do in fact
> have the same arc shoot as the DC breakers. CBI just marks the outside of
> the breakers differently. You don't want to get called on the AC vs. DC
> issue by an inspector because you are going to lose that battle. It makes
> things a bit confusing to have a DC breaker in an AC circuit even though
> they are identical inside. I believe Allan Sindelar was in the field and had
> a situation where it saved a bunch of time and hassle to use a QY breaker
> instead of a QL that he did not have on hand. I had told him that the DC
> breaker would function just fine as an AC breaker. That installation was
> safe, but an inspector would probably make you change to an AC breaker.
>
> I remember years ago seeing in print that a Hydraulic/Magnetic breaker could
> be used at 100% duty rating where as a thermal breaker could only be used at
> 80%. I have searched and searched to find this written explanation again to
> no avail. I thought it was in the NEC, but I now believe I was wrong. If the
> NEC does not allow the use of H/M breakers to be used at 100% duty cycle,
> then it just is not allowed. It is true that the H/M breakers are not
> affected by temperature like thermal breakers are, but that in itself
> doesn't overrule the NEC. I personally have been spreading this myth to
> hundreds of installers for 10 years. I now believe I was wrong. Sure wish I
> could find that written explanation from years ago! Perhaps it came from CBI
> or some other circuit breaker manufacturer? (see below) Maybe an old version of the NEC?
> The NEC is the top authority, so please use the same de-rating guidelines
> for CBI as for thermal breakers.
> Sorry for perpetuating this widely accepted myth.

PS.  Robin found this and thinks that this may have been one of the
texts but still
does not override NEC requirements

>From Heinamann:

Continuous operation at 100%current.
 There is no such assurance with a thermal device, which may
fail to carry rated current when subjected to above normal ambient
temperatures. A Heinemann breaker rated at 20 amperes, for example,
will sustain 20 amperes, even at elevated temperatures. Derating
and other forms of temperature compensation are unnecessary.