[RE-wrenches] Split-bus panel: load/line side connection?

Hans Frederickson hans at fredelectric.com
Thu Apr 1 09:02:28 PDT 2010

Wrenches,
The thread about supply side overcurrent protection got me thinking about
the old split-bus panels. I don't see any theoretical difference between
landing on a breaker in the top section of a split-bus service panel and
making a line side tap. For example, if you have a 200A split-bus service
panel that allows 60A breakers in the top section, what's to stop you from
installing a 60A PV source (or two, if you have room)? Thoughts?

-Hans

Hans Frederickson
Estimator / Project Manager
Frederickson Electric, Inc.