[RE-wrenches] DC & AC Disconnects near inverter

dave at independentpowerllc.com dave at independentpowerllc.com
Thu Feb 25 10:59:35 PST 2010

Wrenches,

My memory is telling me that grid connected inverters should have both the
DC disconnect and AC disconnects close (within site). This may be from a
"best practice" standpoint and not a code issue. The case in point now is
an older Fronius IG (not IG plus). It has DC and AC breakers in the
inverter but I don't believe that they meet the need for a maintenance
disconnect for servicing, or removing, the inverter.

Article 690 Part III Disconnecting Means
690.14 Additional Provisions. (D)Utility-Interactive Inverters located in
Not-Readily-Accessible Locations. 690.14(D)(1)&(2) States the
disconnecting means should be located within site of the inverter.
Does this just pertain to Not-Readily-Accessible invertes?

My question is. Is there any other code provision that mandates
disconnects within sight of the inveter? I'm thinking back to an
installation we did a few years ago, before SMA had the DC disconnect
switch in the detachable enclosure for their Sunny Boys. I had a roof
mounted PV array on the garage roof with a 600VDC disconnect in the garage
and then another 40 feet of conduit (metal lined flex) traveling into the
homes basement where the SB3800 inverter lived. I installed another 600VDC
disconnect next to the inverter. Is this second DC disconnect mandated by
code? Or is it just a good practice?

David Palumbo