[RE-wrenches] IRS Certification Requirement by "Manufacturer's" regarding the solar tax credit

Randy randy at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Feb 17 10:52:07 PST 2010

HI wrenches,

It has come to my attention when reading the Federal tax form 5695 for
residential energy tax credit, that manufacturer's may provide a
certification statement to taxpayers that can be relied upon to certify that
the equipment is eligible for the federal tax credit.  These instructions
can be found by going to www.irs.gov and entering "notice 2009-41".  The
important word is "may" but in reading the rules it looks like this will
ultimately be required. This certification could simply be a statement on
the website indicating such.  It also goes on to say that the taxpayer must
determine whether the investment relates to a qualified dwelling unit or
not.  In other words, the IRS will not rely on the manufacturer for that
test.

Do I read this correctly? Is anybody doing this and do they have some
examples?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy Sadewic