[RE-wrenches] Fronius IG Plus line

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Dec 26 08:35:37 PST 2009

At 03:26 AM 12/26/2009, you wrote:
>was brooks talking about the plus line? I think not. I think that
>thread was regarding the Fronius IG

The post is copied below.  I would like to know it the problem
extends to the Plus line.

Bill Brooks
<mailto:re-wrenches%40lists.re-wrenches.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BRE-wrenches%5D%20Efficiency%20Curves%20of%20Fronius%20Inverters%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C00e301ca010e%24154b0b50%243fe121f0%24%40com%3E>billbrooks7
at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 20:25:23 PDT 2009

All of the events I saw were similar to each other and different from your
experience. What I saw was the inverter operating 40Volts above Max Power
Point (MPP) (it was at 330V when it should have been at 290V). This caused
the inverter to operate at 90% of what a properly operating inverter would
produce. After cycling the inverter off and back on, most went to the proper
MPP, but some went back to the wrong voltage. The consistency is uncanny and
not encouraging. It looks like they have a software problem. It's likely
other inverter companies have similar problems, but to catch a problem after
so little investigation is depressing.

We really need a solid MPP tracking test to catch these issues before they
go out broadly into the field. Everybody likes to talk about inverter
efficiency. What is the efficiency of a 95% efficient inverter producing 90%
of available power. Effectively it is 0.95 x 0.90 = 0.855. Nobody would ever
buy an inverter with an 85.5% efficiency, but apparently it happens
regularly.

Bill.

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options &