[RE-wrenches] DC disconnect placement

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 15:03:28 PST 2009

William,

I'm not sure what the struggle is about here. If you have a combiner box,
you should always have a disconnect nearby to service the fuses. The 2011
NEC will require such a disconnect. It is a no-brainer on a ground mounted
system. A roof-mounted residential system of 4 strings or less should bring
the strings off the roof, assuming less than a 100-foot run. That way you
would not need a rooftop disconnect-no backhoe problems here unless the
backhoe really gets reckless ;-).

With the 2011 NEC requirement, integrated disconnects with combiners will
become common.

Bill.