[RE-wrenches] Andalay and Lowes

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sat Dec 19 10:31:16 PST 2009

Mr. Cinnamon's company, Akeena Solar, has accumulated over $48 million in
losses from 2006 through Q3 2009, according to public documents since
they're a publicly-traded company (http://ir.akeena.com/annuals.cfm).

He now apparently believes that he can turn a profit by commodifying PV
through his Andalay product line and having Joe Blow homeowner pick up an
Andalay package or two or ten at Lowes, essentially bypassing licensed solar
or electrical contractors and slap those puppies on the roof himself.  As
long, of course, he's safety conscious about getting up and down the ladder.

I fully agree with brother Jeff Wolfe's observation: "You put solar panels
on your roof without a permit, bad things happen to you."

One thing is virtually certain: come Monday morning we're going to be
getting calls from Joe B. asking for help to figure out what he did wrong or
that he got a nasty zap and doesn't want to get back on that roof...

marco

This article in the Cape Cod paper floored me, especially with this quote
"It's really not a big deal," said CEO Barry Cinnamon. "The most dangerous
thing is learning about ladder safety."

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091219/NEWS11/9121
09992
<wlmailhtml:%7b07912ECD-9606-422B-9FE8-4061F9615E3F%7dmid://00000054/!x-usc:
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091219/NEWS11/9121
09992>

My gut says this will spawn a whole host of horror story installations.

Tom