[RE-wrenches] Geocel 2300

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Thu Dec 17 05:03:54 PST 2009

Morning Nick, and all---

Best wishes for Peace on Earth , and congratulations for the role we all play in that !

When we were looking, back in the late 80's , for the best caulks for roof penetrations and the occasional  crack repair in our EPS foam core covered with reinforced , latex modified, cement plaster, we used silicones , polyurethanes, and the tri and quad polymer caulks like geocel 2300, and OSI Quad.

We like black silicone for roof penetrations in asplalt shingles--clear silicones , and tri-polymers,  are not UV resistant, black lasts forever ,in our experience . Some folks teaching solar installation have had very negative experience with clear silicone, and we concur. No UV resistance ! Adhesion is not a strong point so be sure to place silicone in the hole and under the foot/ bracket/whatever. That also prevents UV exposure. Also be aware that there are different types of silicone, so do some research. The RTV is probably best. Years ago we got our caulks from C R Laurence Co, a major supplier to the glass trade. They had a great chart listing all the caulks they sold, and their appropriate applications.

When we needed caulk for high expansion use , like crack repair , we tried polyurethane but found it to stiff --and messy--although it is certainly sticky and tough. We then switched to the multi-polymers , using Geocel and OSI Quad. We found the Geocel a bit to thin--may be different now-- but the OSI was just right. It is used and sold primarily for vinyl windows/ siding because it sticks tenaciously--even to polyethylene, which we used for 20 years for drainback SHW tanks. The tensile strength is affected by the presence of color agents--it comes in over 200 colors or so. Clear is incredibly strong, and extremely stretchy ! Lay out a bead, let it cure, and pull on it .
It can be very difficult to remove from surfaces. Great for installing flashing to thermal collectors so removal for reroofing is not needed.  It  does takes a while to cure.

The tri-polymers will dissolve EPS foam, and react with asphalt at the interface, leaving no bond, in our experience. But a little keresene or your trusty can of penetrating oil is great for cleanup.

Caulk is a great tool, but selection of the appropriate type, and application techniques is crucial. Experimentation will be most useful.

Take Care
Ken Schaal
CommonWealth Solar
www.commonwealthsolar.com