[RE-wrenches] fancy stud sensors (was RE: Clean Energy Brands)

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Dec 15 18:04:30 PST 2009

Hi All -

I'm glad someone brought this up. I own the new Milwaukee M12 scanner and I can definitely say that it is practically worthless. I think that maybe it is effective at scanning concrete and rebar but it doesn't work up on the roof and I can barely get it to even detect a stud in a basic stucco or sheet rock wall. The sensor area barely allows for any surface variation - it just bottoms out over even the slightest bump. I couldn't even get it to roll properly on a basic stucco wall let alone a comp shingle roof. Up on the roof I tried all types of cardboard and even a thin plastic kitchen cutting board and it was completely lost when trying to find studs on a basic roof.

We also own the Bosch D-tect 100 which is an excellent tool but requires a knack to use properly. That said, it has saved us hundreds of hours and thousands of missed holes when the trusty old hammer isn't picking up the trusses.

Here is the next generation D-tect 150: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48r-c4i22c

I wonder if this tool works up on the roof?

And one last note, I have to say that most of the Milwaukee M12 tools I've used are excellent so I was really disappointed that the scanner was such a worthless device.

-August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation
O: 415.564.7652