[RE-wrenches] Array separation

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Dec 8 09:35:37 PST 2009

I'm sure Bill's tool works well, but if anyone wants a ballpark number. At
35 degrees north latitude, and if you want no obstruction from 9:00 am to
3:00 pm on December 21st (winter solstice), and your rows are E-W, then
space the rows 2.1X the difference between the top of the PV module to the
bottom of the PV module behind it (to the North). Of course if your rows are
not E-W, the calculation is a bit more complex, and what you really want to
check is the percentage of the maximum kWh of production you realize for a
given configuration. Since there are a multitude of 2-3% factors that
degrade a PV system's performance, I would keep the degradation due to
inter-row shading below 2%.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
 <mailto:peter.parrish at calsolareng.com> peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885

  _____