[RE-wrenches] wind load

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Dec 5 15:42:17 PST 2009

Rebecca:

I am not a structural engineer, nor would I second guess a structural
engineer's findings.  The audacity here is that your inspector posture's
him/herself as knowing more than a licensed engineer and is imposing unfair
demands.  Your maximum responsibility ends with an engineer's project
specific wet stamp.

My complaint is when I receive impromptu demands from a building
inspector.  I insist that every requirement be published and equally
enforced.  If the AHJ wants an engineering report on every roof mount
installation, so be it -- as long as every contractor and owner-builder has
the exact same requirement and the requirement is in writing in a publicly
accessible forum.  Then at least the playing field is level and all
contractor's know what to expect when bidding a job.

The down side to heightened requirements imposed by an AHJ is that it makes
all installs more expensive, allowing fewer projects to be completed and
leaving your area with a larger carbon foot print.

I have a clause in my contract that allows extra charges if a standard
permit package proves inadequate.  This requires a change order signed by
the client.  The client will be informed immediately if the project gets
bogged down with unfair or arbitrary demands.  This way the client can get
involved politically, if appropriate.  If it becomes necessary, the more
angry calls your county elected officials receive, the better.

I hope this is helpful information.  I think you can tell I have had some
bad experiences!

William Miller