[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Dec 2 16:30:08 PST 2009

I also have been following this thread and wondering "whazzup" about
buss bars being better than just parallel cables from one battery
string to the next.

Agreed that the parallel cable method "is merely using the terminal of
the battery as a connector between two cables." Maybe if there's big
amperage involved on that battery post and that post warms up then
conducts heat to the inner structure of that battery...maybe...but
those lead posts are massive enough that it would take a lot of
amperage...plus maybe a deteriorating connection to generate much
heat.

I advocate "cross-tying" the pack as a way to average out strong/weak
monoblocs. This is electrically much the same as if the monoblocs were
bigger ampacity because the cross-ties mimic what occurs inside each
plastic case with plates in parallel.

Steve at Green Trust had posted the cross-tie diagram as referenced by
Michael and asked my opinion. I opined that using two cross ties at
each "voltage node" in the series string is redundant and cannot
improve upon what occurs when using only one cross tie at each voltage
node. Unfortunately I cannot now find my explanation of that on
Steve's website.

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com