[RE-wrenches] Other's thoughts on Autonomy? Maybe I'm Just Lucky?

Wayne Irwin wayne at pureenergysolar.com
Tue Dec 1 14:48:11 PST 2009

Maybe i'm just lucky but my wife and I have been living off grid for several years now with two battery banks.

The first bank we bought new 5 years ago, which are 16 Rolls S530's. The second are 16 Rolls S460's that we inherited from a customer that was sick of his battery back up system and SW inverter. The S460's are now 7 years old.
I added the second bank for lack of a better use for used batteries.
I put them on a switch so that when one bank gets drawn down to just below 50% we switch to the other bank.

The bank that's not in use has a small array and CC (which is also switched) to keep it charged.

We have had no power problems and both banks continue to operate as would be expected from a new bank.

I equalize the batteries via the 7KW PV array every month (when possible) and add water every four mo's or so.

I'm not sure if all of the sudden the banks are going to take a performance nose dive but they are holding up fine for now.

It's my opinion (and we do this for all of our battery system customers) that the Key is to set the cut-off point just below 50% and provide the customer  with a battery monitoring device in their home.
We tell our customers "When its cloudy cut back on your energy consumption or else your system will shut down before killing your batteries".

Just my $.02

Wayne Irwin EE

Pure Energy Solar International Inc.
State Licensed Solar Contractor

License # CVC56695

Wayne at PureEnergySolar.com

http://pureenergysolar.com

352 377-6527 Office
352 336-3299 Fax
352 316-1637 Cell
The
content of this message is Pure Energy Solar Confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this message in error, any use or distribution is
prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
message from your computer system. Thank you.