[RE-wrenches] Equipment shortages, long lead times?

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Mon Nov 23 10:51:17 PST 2009

With small off-grid equipment, I am seeing lots of substitutions. As in,
"it might be weeks or months to get you the inverter/charger you spec'd,
but this other product meets them at a similar cost and can ship right
now...."

Sometimes that's OK, but sometimes *not* if the product's dimensions,
electrical terminal locations, and mounting requirements are different.
When I'm supervising on the day of install and an "inverter / charger"
turns out to be an "inverter with transfer switch" (but no charger) I
get really irritated! Happened early this summer.

So -- I open the arriving boxes to check specs and docs, and I keep a
really keen eye on anything I'm hauling up to the Kenai. When your
system components have to fly in by float plane or helicopter, costs and
delays add up fast. Even just a beer run starts at $500....

DAN FINK
Renewable Energy Consultant