[RE-wrenches] Enphase installation details

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 00:35:32 PST 2009

William

Some feedback:

1. The DC and AC wiring is generally under the modules and therefore protected.
2. Upon the wiring segueing out from under the modules- AC, you would switch to a JB and conduit. This can also be achieved prior to exiting below the modules.
3. www.schletter-inc.us  and http://www.hellermanntyton.us/markets.aspx?id=1362   have some wire management solutions, as well as AEE with some stainless clips.
4. Yes, we need to evolve as an industry in regards to wire management and mounting, as www.zepsolar.com is addressing in the future.
5. Yes, long term 10 year warranties in CA are the venerable canary in the coal mine scenario. My suggestion to all wrenches- offer O&M as a standard and not as an add on. Develop a long term relationship with your clients and they will surely appreciate the TLC over the years. This should/could mitigate your short lived UV rated tie wrap dilemma.
6. The solar water industry is alive and thriving here and eventually get a resurgence in other jurisdictions around the country...stay tuned- the short answer is- follow the incentives....when they go away, so does the work or the incentive for a William to open up shop, buy equipment and hire people....remember Jimmy Carter @ the White House and in one administration the panels had been removed....and with it the imagination of the industry.......
7. The competitive advantage axiom you suggest- look at it another way. If you lead your area in craftsmanship and have a low O&M cost per client and every integrator learned the way of William, perhaps they would also go to the great lengths to provide the same level of service and in doing so, would cost this into their projects. This, invariably, would become a standard and in doing so, become the only way it gets done. Lead, not follow. If followers don't identify the leaders, then we are destined to have a substandard industry that is self perpetuating and at the rate of growth in our industry we need to ask ourselves what legacy will we decide to leave. I'm not suggesting to give away trade secrets, but I wonder if sharing wire management techniques will better all in our vocation....give it some consideration as there are long term positive consequences.....almost like a solar "syntopicon"- an index to great "solar" ideas...

Aloha~

Keith