[RE-wrenches] Shade Mitigating DC Device Application

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 28 18:31:01 PDT 2009

HI Matt:
    The way I deal with it is normally to put the shaded modules onto one string.  This morning, I finalled an inspection on a system with two strings of 12- BP SX-3200Bs (200 w) to 2- GT-3.3 inverters.  We arranged one string in the morning shade, and one out of it.  Inverter 1 was producing 1400 watts, while inverter 2 was producing only 100 watts.  Luckily, this only goes on during winter months, because Inverter 2 is producing 20% less per day now.
    The question I always ask myself is, how many modules does it take to run the inverter.  I calculate how many modules will be in the sun when the string is shaded. If the shade is enough to shut off a string, but dividing the shade onto two strings will allow both strings to continue to operate in the inverter's voltage window, then divide it up between the strings, so that each string stays on.   If the typical shade is so much that it will shut off two strings then put only one string in the shaded area.

     At my site this morning, the Inverter requires 11-16 modules to stay in the window, and my string was only 12 modules long, so even a small amount of shade can severely impact my arrays output.  My site had 6 of the 12 modules mostly shaded, so I was glad it was only on one string.Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537