[RE-wrenches] Monitoring split system

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed Oct 21 23:51:12 PDT 2009

Holt,

I see that nobody has jumped in to respond to your question, so I guess that I will.

I don't know of any "off-the-shelf" monitoring system that would directly integrate the two systems. Fat Spaniel Technologies might be able to put together a combined system, but it would likely be expensive and complex.

However, the vast majority of the time the SB6000 would just be in standard grid-tie mode, so you can just use the SMA WebBox and Sunny Portal to monitor the SB. Even if the grid is down, the SB output could be monitored. It just wouldn't tell you where the energy is going - to run loads or to charge batteries. But do you really need to monitor that?

Most of the time the OutBack will be doing nothing but waiting for a grid failure, but If you want to also monitor that inverter, you can use the FLEXnet DC and the MATE to connect to a PC.  Right Hand Engineering makes nice Windows-based PC software that works with the OutBack equipment to monitor and display status, with data logging and system control:

http://www.righthandeng.com/hm_wvmob.htm

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar