[RE-wrenches] Sealed Batteries

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Fri Oct 16 16:18:58 PDT 2009

I would be concerned about the adverse effect of the high African heat on sealed batteries as well. "Likely" not an issue depending on battery locations and enclosure's. In remote locations I put extra effort in training the locals in the simple battery maintenance and have them collect rain water in season for battery water as distilled water can be very difficult to purchase in many areas and crazy expensive. I like the stuff that falls free from the air, filtered for bugs and debris with anything from coffee filters to an old T shirt.  It is very hard to justify the large cost premium, shorter life, unforgiving charge controlling and replacement difficulty in most of Africa and other parts of the world. Flooded batteries may indeed be a hassle for you, but I don't think in the long run you will make life any easier by moving to sealed, only spend more.

-jeff o