[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island DC Load Centers, Sealed Batteries

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 19:12:52 PDT 2009

two issues, if a breaker is mounted vertical the on position is NEC supposed to be up.
But the bigger issue is DC breakers have arc chutes, these rely on the arc gases rising and breaking over the arc chutes.  (some of them have magnets to force the arc over the chutes.)  The interrupting capacity of the breaker is severely compromised if the breaker is mounted on its side or upside down.  (this I state based on theory and observation)
Darryl