[RE-wrenches] AC & DC in Raceway

Hans Frederickson hans at fredelectric.com
Thu Sep 24 15:46:46 PDT 2009

I am not aware of any type of installation where the NEC would require
bundling in a gutter. I have seen some non-metallic raceways with built-in
partitions for low-voltage and line-voltage wiring, but of course this type
of product wouldn't be applicable for the AC/DC separation you're looking
for. Anyway, you should be careful with bundling, because although it makes
for a neat installation, your AHJ might consider tightly grouped conductors
in a gutter as requiring derating, as if they were sharing a raceway.
Typically this would not be an issue for solar installations, since we're
increasing wire sizes over minimum requirements in order to minimize voltage
drop / wire resistance losses, but if you had say, five strings, and you
bundled the 10 DC wires together for a distance of 24" or more, your
derating factor may have just hit 50%, and that's in addition to any
derating that might be required by ambient temperature. Just keep in mind
that any current carrying conductors that are bunched together with zip ties
just might run a bit warmer and thereby have increased resistance. I heard a
story somewhere once about a homeowner who thought it would be very
workmanlike to _braid_ all the home runs together as they left the service
panel. According to the story, the AHJ took a dim view of this and wrote an
ampacity correction based on NEC 310.15(B)(2) "Adjustment Factors for More
Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway of Cable". This makes
sense when you consider that the braided romex was essentially one big
cable.

-Hans

Hans Frederickson
Project Manager