[RE-wrenches] Rooftop DC disconnects

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Wed Sep 23 10:54:51 PDT 2009

I just had a conversation with a plan checker in LA County yesterday on that very topic.

When I directed him to NEC 690.14(C)(1) & 690.31(E):

690.14(C)(1) Location.
The photovoltaic disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either on the outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the system conductors.
Exception: Installations that comply with 690.31(E) shall be permitted to have the disconnecting means located remote from the point of entry of the system conductors.

690.31(E) Direct-Current Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits Inside a Building.
Where direct current photovoltaic source or output circuits of a utility-interactive inverter from a building integrated or other photovoltaic system are run inside a building or structure, they shall be contained in metallic raceways or enclosures from the point of penetration of the surface of the building or structure to the first readily accessible disconnecting means. The disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A )through 690.14(D).

After we discussed these articles and the appropriate labeling of the metallic conduit, he waived the requirement.

Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV Systems

Eagle Roofing Products
120 North Auburn Street - Suite 212