[RE-wrenches] grounding of hot water collectors

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 15:04:40 PDT 2009

Some water systems are all plastic except for the solar water heating system.  I agree atmospheric energy I would think would effect the absorber plates more than frames, but I am not atmospheric energy.  Then grounding the piping system should be adequate, and a copper pipe should be better than any wire you can run. The NEC says all conductive systems should be bonded.  If you have a all copper water system just bonding at the service ground.  In my location the water systems are becoming plastic pipe underground.  I had an Inspector tell me I could not use the water system as ground.  We had a problem a few years back an electrical storm wiped out about 10 plus differential controllers.
DT