[RE-wrenches] Insulation testing

sunergy at charter.net sunergy at charter.net
Thu Sep 17 08:51:20 PDT 2009

It should be noted that the UL1703 standard for high potting is performed on a module with the output wires shorted to one terminal of the megger and the other terminal to the frame or grounding point.  This is a measurement of the leakage through the module to ground.  This is also tested with the module submerged in a tank of conductive water.  So no matter what the test voltage is the module is at zero voltage potential.  I am concerned that installers may be applying 1000 to 2000 volts to an array  that was certified for a system voltage 600VDC and may actual be viewed as a violation of the warranted and the designated system voltage.  I am not sure if any damage could actually be done internally in the module from high voltage arcing between components or potential overheating of components.  I would recommend that a safer alternative is to actually short the out put wires to the one megger terminal and one to ground, this would give the same desired results with less risk of damge or the module manufacturer being able to void a warranty over subjecting a module to higher than recommended system voltages!  Please continue this thread of discussion with any additional comments, I believe megging is a good test, I just want to insure that it is done safely and without any potential damage to the system we are trying to insure is safe!

Bill Hoffer
Sunergy Engineering Services