[RE-wrenches] S-5 clamps on the standing seam roof

Michael Kelly mike at solarflair.com
Thu Aug 27 05:39:31 PDT 2009

Paul,

We have used the S-5! clamps on standing seams in the past.  We like
putting the modules directly on the seams with the S-5! clamps, no
rails.  First, speak with the engineer who designed the building and
roof to make sure the roof is attached securely to the perlins and
building structure.  Second, make sure you obtain the correct S-5!
clamp; they make several styles to fit different seam profiles.
Third, make sure your crew torques each S-5! set screw to the
recommended torque; let the fasteners sit and then make your crew
torque them again.  Fourth, the advised mounting method is to have the
modules' long edge perpendicular to the roof seam (i.e. landscape) and
a clamp on every seam that the module crosses.  This means you need
*six* clamps per module, not four.  Fifth, to help with layout, use a
taught string to lay down all of the clamps that make up the first
row.  Six, with such a low sloped roof and New England conditions, you
are going to see a lot of dirt buildup on the modules after about six
months; you may want to advise your client to clean them (or have them
cleaned) on a regular schedule.  Seventh, wire management on this type
of a system is a real pain because of the limited access space under
the modules; if you find a good way to manage module to module
connections, let me know.

Good luck,
Mike
--