[RE-wrenches] Solar 12 volt DC lighting for school in Haiti

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Mon Aug 24 08:15:24 PDT 2009

On Aug 23, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Tom DeBates wrote:

Tom,
I've had good luck with using 1/4" stainless steel pop rivets to
secure the modules to the rack. Fast and cheaper than "security"
hardware. Takes someone with a grinder to get them off without
trashing the module.
Good Luck, Bob-O

hey Lee,
   It appears as though Haiti is a popular place.
   I returned yesterday along with six students from IIT from a very
similar project. Our system is 24V as they had a 24V inverter that was
donated. Our rooms were ~ 24'X24' with ceilings of ~ 10 feet. We used
CFL's (20VAC) as they appear to be readily available in Haiti. The
lighting, as designed, was about twice what we needed.
  One "must-do" tip: make certain that the modules are THEFT-PROOF.
   If you would like more info including some pics, please contact me
off-list.
best luck,
Tom