[RE-wrenches] Limited broadband (was Seasonal Adjusters)

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Mon Aug 17 13:37:09 PDT 2009

Hi Travis, Apology accepted with relief :-)  I'm a happy camper.

If I need something (product brochure, manual etc) I take a trip into town to an internet cafe with my laptop.  Usually the speed there is not great (depends on the number of users at any time) but it is the only practical option.  At NZ$4/hr it is better than tying up the phone for 1/2 a day!  That is assuming the phone is working.  Browsing for fun is limited.  If a page does not load in 20 seconds or so that is it, the site is just too large for my connection.  Keep in mind that this "service" is costing me NZ$13/month as part of a bundle with my telco.

Yes, I have real problems with people (usually city based) even within NZ that can't seem to understand I don't want a 1 or 2 MB joke file or picture of their kids sent to me.  Still, hope is on the horizon (or just above it) in the form of a 256/64 satellite that I might be able to see.  Mind you, being in the mountains has advantages.  I have been micro-hydro powered for 14 years now!

Wrenches is one of the internet things that I really value.  The RE sector in this country is small so the cross-polination I get from the discussions is an opportunity to learn that I don't have locally.  So much more gear is used Stateside that you guys are likely to see problems or solutions before I could even think of them.  Yes, there are some brands we don't get and we have a 230V 50Hz supply so some is different but there are many common issues.

The threads on regulations are interesting because we will see these problems here in a few years.  I get advance notice of programming problems or conflicts before the distributors here know of them.  The size of systems many of you do are only just starting to appear here so installation problems and tips are really valuable.

Some of the discussions held here have led me to re-evaluate the way I do my work and to improve my quality.  It is good.

Forward into a sunnier, windier and wetter future

Cheers,
Bruce