[RE-wrenches] utility line voltage issues

Jeff Irish jeff at hvce.com
Mon Aug 17 11:25:00 PDT 2009

Peter,

Yes, grid impedance is another variable, and one that we can not easily
control.  The impedance looking into the grid can be high due to loose
connections or undersized conductors or both.  In some cases we've had
to have the utility out to check their pole top and meter connections.
>From my experience, you should be OK with 100 mohms or less grid
impedance (ignoring inductance and capacitance here), and will probably
be in trouble over 150 mohms with a larger residential system if the
utility voltage wanders on the high end of ANSI-A.  I think the highest
we've seen is 250 mohms on a mixed overhead and buried service.

Jeff Irish
Hudson Valley Clean Energy