[RE-wrenches] utility line voltage issues

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 11:19:25 PDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Using your figures of 450 MW of installed PV in California, 4.5 sun-hours, and $0.15/kW-h, I get $1.1 million lost for each 1% of total of downtime.  Not massive in the overall scheme of things, but not insignificant.  (My math too is subject to review...)

4.50E+09        watts of PV in CA
4.5             avg sun-hours/day
2.03E+09        total w-h/day
365             days/year
7.39E+11        watt-hours/year
7.39E+08        Convert to kWh/year
$0.15 	        Avg $ per kWh
$110,868,750    Annual value of PV energy
$  1,108,688    Loss for each 1% down time

I deal with UL constantly on the "sensitivity" issue.  High line voltage not withstanding .. it makes even MORE sense to have grid-tied systems stay online during brownouts .. when they're needed most .. yet grid-tied systems are required to drop offline around 108/216 Vac (+/-)

Conversations I've had with utility company execs over the years have all been the same; they feel the UL specs make grid-tie systems "too twitchy".

I'm in complete agreement with William AND the execs....

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any likelihood of relaxation of these rules any time soon.

Dan