[RE-wrenches] Seasonal Adjusters

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Aug 15 10:37:57 PDT 2009

I have taken the opposite approach. Keep in mind that we have sunny winters,
so angle makes a real difference; if the system is well designed the gennie
only runs a few times in winter during storms.

I strongly recommend pole-top racks, because it gets seasonal adjustment
down to a (usually) one-person job that takes 15 minutes twice a year,
because the rack is well-balanced over its pivot point. We make it as easy
as possible, with seasonal settings marked on the strongback with a center
punch. I recommend to homeowners that, unless they run low on charging
during summer, they set to winter angle (latitude + 15) around November 10
(halfway between fall and winter) and back to latitude on February 10
(halfway between winter and spring). Don't bother with a summer setting.

I like the new DP&W design and specify their racks. I never recommend UniRac
poletops.

Allan Sindelar
Allan at positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer