[RE-wrenches] solar roof lift experience?

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design jeffc at villagepower.com
Wed Aug 12 12:48:49 PDT 2009

Hi All,

After many years of installing on steep roofs  (most New England
roofs are 10/12 or 12/12 pitch) with various approaches including
harnesses, pulleys, lifts, Lulls, staging, etc.,  we finally realized
that it is so much easier on residential installs to just erect
scaffolding for all our jobs.

By installing regular construction scaffolding on the South Side we
accomplish many things:

1)  With rails it meets Osha fall protection requirements
2)  We attach a rope and pulley to the scaffolding to lift modules.
Super easy and safe.
3)  Our electrician and construction supervisor love it for going up
and doing final connections, check polarity etc.
4)  Even with the extra 2.5 hour set up and another 2.5 hour
breakdown time and the $200/month rental we figure we save alot of
money on each job.  It makes everything on the roof go much smoother
- it prevents roof crew burnout and it's much safer.   You can do
rail assembly and other pre-roof assembly on the scaffolding.  Tool
boxes are brought up for the duration of the job and you save a lot
of up and down trips.   If you set it up close enough - anything
dropped lands on the scaffolding. etc. etc. All around it works very
nicely.

For larger commercial jobs or flat roofs - there's nothing like a
LULL.  We rent them for around $1200 for 2-3 days.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jeff C.

--