[RE-wrenches] "Quick Release" PV System & Crazyy Building Departments

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Fri Aug 7 13:04:17 PDT 2009

To All,

Thank you for the advise, experiences, and input. I apologize for the delay in my response, but my priorities have been temporarily changed for me, and moved away from this project.

First of all, yes we have made allowances to accommodate the 3 foot perimeter for egress access way for the Fire Department, and it would not make a difference if we separated the array with courses of non PV tile, as they are pretty set on their "Quick Release" requirement.

The installing electrician for the project has been dealing with the planning and fire departments directly in an effort to resolve the issue. The only printed reference to this requirement that I have received came from the corrections list from the Fire Department. (Chula Vista requires separate plan reviews by 1) Planning 2) Engineering and 3) Fire Department)

The correction list states "Hardware shall be of the quick release type - subject to Fire Department approval. The panels should be releasable from the mounting with the use of a gloved hand, and without the use of tools."

I am e-mailing Fire Prevention Engineer directly to request a published document for this requirement, but I really do not see how we will be able to satisfy this requirement, and will most likely loose the job. Our electrician will be meeting with them directly to see what if anything can be done. I would think that with a gloved hand they should be able to break and remove the tile just as they would with a concrete tile, with out the use of a tool.

I yearn for the day of a Nationally approved standard that ALL building officials will have to adhere to. As you are all no doubt aware, two neighboring cities might as well be on different planets when it comes down to how they review and approve PV Installations.

I actually just had a different planning department approve a set of plans that I produced that had two PV Powered 4800 Watt inverters (23A Max Continuous AC Output) with 30A breakers and a 400A Main Panel called out. It turns out that the customer only had a 200A panel, so the inspector told the installer that he could just reduce the size of the breakers to a 20A, the installer did this, and the job was signed off and finaled. The customer then had problems getting his rebate because the drawings still call out a 400A panel. I provided 4 different options to rectify the issue and still meet code, but they do not want to do this. Now they are mad at me because I refuse to change the drawings to represent a non code compliant installation.

Part of me is amazed that the inspector and planning department has aloud this to happen, and the other half is not surprised at all.

I will update the list when I have more, and thanks again for the help.

Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV Systems

Eagle Roofing Products
120 North Auburn Street - Suite 212