[RE-wrenches] solid vs stranded AC vs DC

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Mon Aug 3 13:52:19 PDT 2009

Wind-sun.com wrote:
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current
>
> The practical effects of running a single wire in 98% of the systems
> that any solar installers will ever see is probably just about zero,
> and it also only applies to AC currents (or rapidly varying DC, which
> is not common).
Won't make a noticeable difference in the small stuff in this industry
most all of the time.

Brian Teitelbaum said:

Is that true even for non-ferrous metals, like aluminum, or say, gold?

Yes.  Anything that conducts electricity would be susceptible to eddy
currents.  (IF it ~did~ create a problem that is)
I don't know why anyone here would normally run just one wire through a
box or conduit though.

boB