[RE-wrenches] Surge protector update - UL1449 3rd edition

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Fri Jul 31 09:31:16 PDT 2009

FYI - I spoke with someone at Delta earlier this week about a service
entrance application and was advised that mandatory adoption of UL 1449
3rd edition happens in October.  She says that there is language in that
standard which (when combined with the 2008 NEC language) makes it
nearly impossible to install a 'UL Recognized' device like an SOV at the
point where it does the most good (in front of the service disconnect)
and pass inspection.  Delta offers an MOV-based design now which is
listed (as opposed to recognized) but (like all MOVs) it will
progressively degrade with time and surge activity.  Something to do
with the 1449 revision specifying that a SPD must destroy itself at a
certain level of energy, which the SOVs do not do (isn't this why we use
them?)  Seems the route to using the SOV here is to install the MOV
version and then swap out for the SOV after inspection.  I hate this
kind of game.