[RE-wrenches] CBI circuit breakers

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed Jul 29 14:02:35 PDT 2009

Nick Lucchese wrote:
> Wrenches,
>
> While we're on the subject of CBI breakers does anyone know a sure way
> to distinguish between the AC and DC versions? Depending on the order
> we get our stock from both Outback (or Outback vendors) as well as
> directly from Midnite. It's obvious with Midnite's 150 VDC MNEPV
> stickers but not all of our breakers come from Midnite and not all who
> handle them know or are always successful at keeping them separated.
> As I look at both options in front of me without Midnite's sticker it
> appears quite confusing. Both have identical QA/QZ and QF markings. I
> did just notice that the MNEPV does also contain a little QDC rating
> on one line, is this the sole indicator or is there something else to
> look for when they don't come from Midnite? Even the AC versions we've
> been getting still say "+ for DC" embossed on the side where the MNEPV
> does not.
>
> Thanks for any insight you're willing to share on my breaker
> questions, Nick A Lucchese

Robin Gudgel made the following comment...

The side markings referred to are generic for all of the CBI 13mm wide
breakers. The real distinguishing markings are on the front of the breaker
below the handle. Midnite has a special ETL listing that allows us to mark
the QY series for 150VDC and now the 2 pole for 300VDC. This sticker covers
up the label that says either 125VDC or 120VAC. The markings are on the
front although they use a sine wave marking to depict AC and straight lines
for DC. To make things easier in the future, just use MidNite breakers. That
way if there is no extra label, it must be an AC breaker.