[RE-wrenches] Marketing your kaizen (was Solar Installers Education)

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 13:01:47 PDT 2009

Joel

Excellent perspective.

Ray- whenever, we as humans have been doing something for a considerable amount of time longer than the new people entering into the "business", we can feel the threat of their presence and their potentially unsophisticated approach to a host of ways in which they market themselves. This is completely understandable, as you and others have done the time in the business and generally feel you are better suited to fulfill the needs of the end user. This happens in every business industry and we all feel it at times as the "free" market mechanisms we work in offer opportunity to all, yet the buying public might not have the best information in front of them to make a good decision. This is a difficult topic to bridge and fully optimize as the dizzying amount of choices can overwhelm the masses.

My personal view on your second question lies in perhaps a simple answer. It is all about relationships you have with your existing customers, as they should be your loyal fans eager to promote you and your team. It isn't always about a marketing blitzkrieg to the masses, as this could build a brand over time, expensively, the best route to the next customer lies in the relationship you build with yesterdays client.

This is where training comes in again. Not just installer training, but everyone within the organization. From the front line folks who take calls, project managers, engineers- you name the position and I will spout the same answer- they all need customer service training 101. We have been all underwhelmed at companies in regards to dealing with the front line or back line individuals on the phone to the one on one interactions. How do we fix the image- again- training. Most astute consumers recognize excellent service and have plenty to say about reprehensible service at the water cooler or at the country store.

This is fundamentally why we all can be frustrated by wondering why someone didn't go with us in a bidding environment- they have not had a chance to develop a relationship and only want the transaction at its lowest cost, as this is the psychological measure of value in their perception. On the other hand, if we can truly engage people, from an educational point of view about solar, we are providing valuable information that they need and focus on helping them get the most significant details, we have a much better opportunity to establish and maintain the loyal relationship. This is not to say someone will take the information and shake down the next service provider, because it will happen, just that the likelihood will generally be less.

Lastly- I don't want to sound like the cable company, but I believe we need to offer value added services beyond the basic installation and service clients every year by providing a checkup, just like we do at the doctor annually to see how the "system" is performing. Again, relationship building 101. This sticks in the hearts and minds (and wallets) of consumers as they feel more certain their system integrator is considerate and a stake holder in the successful operation of their power plant. The challenge is, we generally are selling on price/rebates/ROI/ etc. and O&M becomes a backseat driver to the equation. I wonder how many systems that are deployed out there today are not optimized that could be.......another opportunity to ask your client every year if they know someone who is like them that could use our services. Behind every simple answer is usually a complex challenge, but my belief that we can do better as an industry to foster these
 relationships will take time to trickle into our trade, most specifically for the grid tied market.

Aloha