[RE-wrenches] Solar Boost Controller in Senegal

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri Jun 26 19:29:03 PDT 2009

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar wrote:
> If the SB50 is like other Solar Boost products, there is a zener diode
> on the PV input that will open if the voltage exceeds the Voc maximum.
>  The controller will not "burn up" or be fried but you will have to
> replace the diode. Why it has not happened yet on a cool morning is a
> mystery to me.

If that zener is just across the input terminals, then it might just be
a "tell-tale" diode for warranty claims.  We had those in the Trace
inverters too to show
when high voltage or reverse polarity was applied to the unit.  If this
is the case, then you wouldn't need to replace it to keep the unit working.

If this controller has been in service for a season or more, then you
most likely have nothing to worry about (Rick Cullen may of course
enlighten us more)...
A lot of times, the parts (MOSFETs), and sometimes the units themselves
are conservatively rated, voltage wise.  That's probably why it is still
working.

My X cents worth.
boB