[RE-wrenches] Grid-Connect Inverter with battery, AND auto backoff?

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 24 09:55:20 PDT 2009

Troy,

Unless you are going to be your client's power plant manager, he or she is going to have to be responsible for at least system operation which means managing production and consumption - or hire someone to manage the system. PV systems are automatic and virtually maintenance-free to some extent. A well-designed, properly installed batteryless grid-tie residential PV system's operation is transparent to the home occupants and requires very little attention. However, a battery-based system regularly requires operator intervention especially in a region with frequent brown-outs and black-outs. There are several Wrenches who live with battery-based grid-tied PV systems. Do any of you power your whole house through the main service panel (no subpanel)? If yes, what size PV array, inverter, and battery bank? Any battery-based, grid-tied PV systems out there in continuous operation since before June 1998?

Joel Davidson