[RE-wrenches] What is a "direct-current system"?

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Jun 19 21:31:40 PDT 2009

690.47(C) applies to almost all our solar work (anything with an
inverter). The whole point is: where does the equipment grounding
conductor EGC become the grounded electrode conductor GEC? At that
point and down, 250.166 applies as well. IMHO, once the separate
modules are bonded to a center grounding point at or very near the
array framing, then the conductor to the required supplementary
electrode is the GEC. (which can be the framing, if 250.52 is followed.)
A separate EGC sized by 250.122 connects this center array grounding
point back along with the power conductors to the AC ground buss ,
which is bonded to the house's GEC to a separate electrode.
These electrodes are connected through the EGC, and therefore satisfy
250.54 and ultimately 250.4.

They should not be connected by a 2nd pathway, as this creates a
ground loop.
Connecting the various electrodes through EGC system alone satisfies
both the requirements of the NEC, and good lightning protection
practice of a single connection point grounding system with no loops.
Lightning strikes are conducted directly to earth at multiple points
in the system by their separate large GECs while decoupling parts of
the system somewhat from surges (via the reduced size EGC), but still
bonded, insuring that no potential exists in different parts of the
ground system normally.

Ok I'm going home
R. Walters
Solarray.com