[RE-wrenches] AC coupled relay

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jun 4 19:33:31 PDT 2009

Hi Dick,

There are three inverters, all Sunny Boys, a 3000, 4000 and a
7000.  The breakers are QO.  The AC conductor sizes are #8 for the
7000, #10 for the 4000 and #12 for the 3000.  The breakers are set
for the NEC ratings of the wire (40 A, 30 A and 20 A.).

I sent some information to you off the list with some attachments.

Drake

At 08:54 PM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Drake,
>
>Could you please provide more information,
>array size, inverter make / model, conductor size,
>breaker rating, breaker brand?
>
>Dick
>Solarwind Electric
>Bradford, VT
>

>--- You wrote:
>If I'm following this thread correctly,  the
>relay is to break the flow of AC current to the
>battery based inverter (Outback) from a direct
>grid tie inverter when the grid is down and the
>batteries are full.  The AC coupling here would
>be done at the protected loads panel, fed from the AC Out of the Outback.
>
>We are having problems breaking the AC from
>direct grid tie inverters feeding directly into
>the grid.  When the relays open, the breakers
>that the inverters feed into, trip.  They don't
>always trip, but trip randomly.
>
>The relays are open frame, similar to the ones
>you describe below.  Why are we having this
>problem, as it seems that what we are doing is common practice?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Drake
>--- end of quote ---
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org