[RE-wrenches] Battery Watering Systems

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Fri May 8 09:40:07 PDT 2009

I've used a few types and none are perfect and 100% foolproof. Currently I use and like Pro-Fill from Jan Water Products and customer service is great. PLEASE NOTE: IMHO no watering system should go full automatic and be left unattended during a filling process. Murphy's Law will bite you in the butt with a stuck valve and then battery top flooding. I learned this one the hard way many years ago when a very large battery bank at 250Vdc nom. flooded and the ensuing short started a fire that was not insignificant (is any fire?). I feel that any battery bank that can be filled in under 30 mins does not justify a watering system. Although a lot can be said about the benefits of minimizing the chances of electrolyte contamination, splashes on you and your clothes (of course you have goggles on!), spilling water all over your battery tops anyway, and sometimes awkward back-breaking access (unless it's an EV why did you put them there?). My customers that have over about 60 cells to fill really appreciate the filling systems in spite of the somewhat high costs.
jeff o