[RE-wrenches] Solid state relay (SSR) questions

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Apr 29 11:55:27 PDT 2009

Mick -

I would advise using a mechanical relay - probably a MDR (Mercury
Displacement Relay) as they are very quiet, no arcing and very reliable.

There still will be some noise made when the inverter's internal relay
switches over - so not sure if using a SSR or MDR will really make that
much difference.  SSRs can be hard to troubleshoot when they do have
problems... and they are expensive.

One extremely good relay I have had very good luck with over the years
is the old Potter & Brumfield PBR type  of relays - big open frame type
clunkers.  Grainger stocks them and also offers a nice NEMA 1 "dust
cover" metal enclosure to house them which has nice knockouts but is
very compact.  Only downside is a fairly good clunk when it switches.
This is a DPDT type 30 amp relay - and would be the cheapest reliable
option.

Here is a link: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5X848
<http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5X848>   available also with
120VAC or 12 & 24 VDC coils.