[RE-wrenches] Out Back FM-80 Problem

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Mon Apr 27 19:49:19 PDT 2009

Hey Dave,

I had a very similar experience (with the Apollo) with almost an identical
array (190's on 3 Pole Tops).  After the Apollo smoked 5 times I finally
stopped hitting my head against the wall and switched to the FM80 about
1.5 years ago.  The FM80 has worked well since until today, when it went
into a strange mode (as reported by the client).  In full noon sun, it was
registering that it was in "Bulk" but had an array voltage of 80+ volts
and a current of 60 watts.  Given history at this site (faulty FNDC which
I just upgraded to the new firmware last month and the series of Apollo
failures) I'm hoping that it had to do with the owner leaving it in a
history logging screen last night which confused the system.  I believe
I've seen some odd behavior when the Mate is left in some metering or
programing screens.  As soon as I had the owner scroll through some
screens, the FM80 appeared to be operating properly again.  I'll let you
know if this system continues to act poorly.

I don't know of any circumstances where the FM80 stayed in absorb too long
(this is a good size battery bank - 48 volt KS-33's 1766 amphrs, and a
higher demand house), but I will watch out for this.  I have heard from
Outback and others that they've had FM80's lockup when coupled with a
Xantrex SW system, but no noise about this happening on a complete OB
system.

Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096