[RE-wrenches] Sanyo Semi-facial

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 16:00:47 PDT 2009

Geoff, Daryl, and others,

To be clear, Sanyo's product is not an amorphous-silicon (a-Si) product. It
has a-Si coatings that help with the electron flow at the surface of the
cell. There is no reason to believe that the Staebler-Wronski effect, so
well known over the past 30 years, has any impact on this product. It is not
really a multi-junction cell.

The issue of sizing inverters to array size is a many-facetted issue. I
conservative rule of thumb would be to size the array STC-rating to be equal
to the ac KW rating of the inverter. As long as you are clear that the
system will only very rarely ever reach full power, everything is fine. It
is less of an art than a science in that programs, such as PVSYST, can
predict quite accurately how much energy is lost if you undersize a PV
inverter. The 125% array-to-inverter power number discussed below would only
hold true for installations that are dominated by hot conditions, modules at
minimum spec of -10% of nameplate rating, and no snow or altitude
enhancements.

Inverters are so much cheaper now that undersizing inverters makes very
little sense.

Bill.