[RE-wrenches] wireless routers for off grid

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Sun Apr 12 15:59:04 PDT 2009

On 4/12/09 4:18 PM, jay peltz wrote:
> I"m wondering if there are any recommendations for wireless routers
> for an off grid application.

The best firewall solution and the best wireless solution may not come
in the same box.  I have a fair bit of experience in this area and can
say with reasonable certainty that the combination of X-Wrt
<http://x-wrt.org/> (a version of OpenWrt featuring a vastly improved
web interface) and commodity consumer hardware can work quite well for
basic office use.

If you need real firewalling with usable traffic shaping (maintain your
VoIP quality even when several others are using the network) I think
pfSense <http://pfsense.org/> does a stellar job running something like
an Alix <http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm> board.  You can drop a quality
mini-PCI radio (try Ubiquiti or Atheros) into one of these and have
something that will equal anything available at any price on the
commercial market.  The receive sensitivity of these is a good 10 dB
better than the integrated Broadcom stuff in the commodity boxes and
that (not to mention their 400 mW or even higher output capacity) can
make a world of difference in marginal setups.

> I'm looking for something that A works, B efficient, and C isn't an Apple.

The little Linksys and related boxen draw about 4-5 W if I recall
correctly.  My Alix 2d3 draws about 4-6W most of the time without
wireless, probably closer to 7-8W if I were to drop a card in there.
One caveat if you're looking at DC powering these:  Almost all of them
max out at 24V input.  That means 24V, _not_ 25 or 26V (found out the
hard way.)